Tender Are Her Feelings

I recently started Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald. To be honest, when I first started it, I was super confused because I read a short description of the book, and the beginning introduced my to a character that had never been mentioned in the description. I thought I was reading the wrong book, but after some research, realized that the book has three parts. The part I’m currently reading is about a young actress names Rosemary who stays at a hotel in France. While there, she falls in love with a man named Dick Diver, even though he is married. So far it is really interesting, and I find myself wanting to learn more about each of the characters, especially Nicole, Dick Diver’s wife. She is a very interesting character, and I don’t really know much about her yet, except that she was a former patient of her husband, who is a psychiatrist.

There are several other characters introduced, but I don’t find myself intrigued by them. They seem to each have one specific stereotype and that is their entire personality. For example, one character named Tommy Barban is described as a man who goes to war all the time, but we don’t know why. His character isn’t really that interesting, and I hope that Fitzgerald will give us more background on him and who exactly he is, along with all the other characters. However, I’m not extremely far into the book, so I think I will be getting more information on all the characters. I am really interested to know whether or not Dick will give in to Rosemary’s advances, even though he clearly also loves his wife. I get the feeling that Rosemary is a girl who generally gets what she wants, so she will do whatever she can to get Dick. I’m excited to keep reading this book and find out more about the lives of the Divers and all the hotel residents.

One Reply to “Tender Are Her Feelings”

1. I’m also reading Tender is the Night and agree with the confusion you experienced when beginning the book. I didn’t know who was actually an important character or who was only a secondary character, but I’m excited to keep reading it as well.